Announcing On Air Official Selects 2023
Attention audio artists and storytellers: submissions are now open for On Air Official Selects 2023, the global program for creative short-form audio storytelling.
The Open Call – running through October 4th – solicits original pieces under 10 minutes in length that emphasize sonic experimentation and push the boundaries of audio storytelling. All submissions will be judged by a panel of leaders who are shaping the future of audio, and 10 works will be awarded the title of ‘On Air Official Selects 2023.’
2023 winners will have their work installed as part of a group exhibition at On Air Open House at dublab: an all-day event open to the public on Saturday, November 4th, and published in the On Air Official Selects digital gallery. In addition, winners will receive VIP access to all On Air LA Annex programming Nov 1-4 and a $200 honorarium.
Applications are due by 11:59p EST on Wednesday, October 4th, 2023 using the form below.
- Works must be uploaded as an .mp3 file
- Between 60 seconds and 10 minutes in length
- If excerpted from a longer piece, the work must be able to exist fully on its own without an introduction
- The work is submitted by its owner/creator
- Please remove any embedded ads
WHAT MAKES A GREAT SUBMISSION?
On Air Official Selects is a program for sonic experimentation. We believe that audio is a vital and expressive medium with infinite potential. Our judges are listening for originality of voice, use of sound design in fresh and unexpected ways, as well as unique approaches to narrative style. A work of poetry or fiction, the sounds of your hometown, a gem of an interview, a tiny documentary or something we've never heard before. To listen to past winners, visit the 2021 and 2022 Official Selects showcases.
WHY APPLY TO OFFICIAL SELECTS?
Entering On Air Official Selects means that your work is heard by a cohort of leading audio creatives. Additionally, all pieces selected by the judges will be:
• Installed as part of a group exhibition at On Air Open House at dublab: an all-day event open to the public on Saturday, November 4th
• Published in the On Air Official Selects digital gallery
• Awarded a $200 honorarium.
• Presented with an all-access VIP pass to On Air LA Annex programming Nov 1-4. Pieces submitted by teams will be presented with up to two [2x] passes.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit your work using the form below by 11:59p EST on Wednesday, October 04 2023. Creators of selected works will be notified of their participation by October 27 2023.
- Email Address
- City, Country
- Title of the work
- Length of the work (MM:SS)
- Short description. Include a context or artist statement that you want the judges to know about your audio piece such as why and where it was made. Limit 100 words.
- File upload: Audio .mp3
- (Optional) Full credits including names and roles in creation of the piece
- (Optional) Website and/or social handles of creator(s)
2023 ON AIR OFFICIAL SELECTS JUDGES
Ben Adair, Founder / Executive Producer, Western Sound
Alejandro Cohen, Executive Director, dublab
Gina Delvac, Head of Podcast Audience Lab, KCRW
Christy Gressman, Vice President, Podcasts, Topic Studios
Marshall Lewy, Chief Content Officer, Wondery
ABOUT ON AIR FEST
On Air Fest is advancing the culture of audio. We bring together an expansive range of emerging and established voices to explore the creative possibilities of sound.
On Air Fest is known for bringing together the biggest names in podcasting alongside creative visionaries to inspire creators, fans and the audio industry writ large. Since 2017, the festival has premiered dozens of award-winning podcasts, produced hundreds of live stories, convened thousands of fans and created a program to elevate the artform.
On Air Fest has grown into a bi-coastal, bi-annual festival shaping podcasting’s cultural calendar. Programming includes immersive experiences, awards, a business summit, audio art residency and more.